Sea Life Park -- Oahu Attraction
Sea Life Park may be my favorite Oahu attraction...I know it is my kids' favorite! When I was a kid, I never got tired of it, and I still enjoy going there.
It is located on the windward (east) side of Oahu Hawaii next to Makapuu Beach and Makapuu Lighthouse.
If you have young children, it is a must see because it is the perfect size. It is not overwhelming like a Sea World, but it is bigger than the "tank exhibit" at your local zoo. Every exhibit here is of good quality and interesting.
Some of it's features are:
- Dolphin Cove--Witness a great show in an open-air theater overlooking the ocean. The performers include bottle-nosed dolphins as well as the world's only wholphin, half dolphin and half false killer whale.
- Hawaiian Ocean Theater--Dolphins, penguins, and sea lions perform in a large tank. The lower rows are "get wet" seating!
- Kolohe Kai Surf Club--Watch Sea Lions perform their comical antics...
- Hawaiian Reef Tank--See the underwater world of Hawaii in this re-creation of the Hawaiian reef. This 300,000 gallon tank has over 1,000 reef animals, including sharks, sting rays, turtles, and various species of tropical fish.
- Turtle Cove--Sea turtles within your reach. You can feed them lettuce and other vegetables. They charge a couple bucks for the veggies.
- There is also a Penguin Exhibit, one for the Endangered Monk Seal, and a Sea Bird Sanctuary.
- Sea Lion Feeding--January 2008 Update--This used to be one of my favorite things to do here...You used to be able to buy a tray of fish for $3 and feed the sea lions. Now, you have to pay $10 to have a private feeding time. I don't know if it was a liability issue or a money issue, but it's unfortunate they stopped this...I didn't see anyone participate in the feeding. It was fun observing the sea lions anyway...
- They also offer Dolphin Encounters, Sting Ray Encounters, and Sea Lion Encounters.
- There is also a "touch" exhibit where you can touch various marine animals like sea cucumbers and sea urchins. On this particular day, they had baby sea turtles...way cool!
View Larger Map
Note--This map is interactive...Use the navigation buttons to move the map, and zoom-in & zoom-out. You can also click and drag with your mouse. To reposition the map to its original position, simply refresh this page on your browser.
- Hours--10:30 a.m. to 5:00 p.m., seven days a week
- 2008 Rates--Adult (13 years & above): $29, Child (4-12 years): $19
- Website: www.sealifeparkhawaii.com
Return from Sea Life Park back to Oahu Attraction Guide.